Friday 22 June 2012

Leigh Bardugo - Shadow And Bone

Hello!

Even though I don't like it, today it's another book post. And I'm sorry in advance if it bothers you.

Thus, the book I've read this time is Shadow And Bone, the first book in the Grisha trilogy written by Leigh Bardugo.

"Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near-impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one unlikely refugee. Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life - a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling. Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha... and the secrets of her heart."


That's a long summary, which explains basically everything. When I found this book this wasn't the one I read, I wish it had been.

Because I would be prepared for the turn it book does towards the end, even though you start to think about it at some point. It becomes a little obvious.

While reading this book my memory connected me almost instantly to Graceling written by Kristin Cashore (which I noticed now that I didn't write anything about it...). If I'm honest, there some similarities. The main character is female and has a supernatural power. In Graceling she is an amazing fighter but in this she isn't good at anything but manly fighting until she starts to understand and control her power. Then at some part in Shadow And Bone she and her potential boyfriend hide in the woods to try to escape the bad guys who want to use her power to evil purposes which happens in both books. There are obviously differences but the similarities are significant.
Despite that, I did liked it very much. I read it in one day, because I was always waiting to discover what was going to happen to her and to Ravka.

Have you noticed that by each year that goes, book trailers are becoming better and better? Someone say that and I agree 100%. This one is specially great.



As I said above, this is the first book in the trilogy, so the next book - Siege And Storm - will be released next year. The third and final book - Ruin And Rising - I'm sure will be available to purchase in 2014.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment