Thursday 21 June 2012

Emmy Laybourne - Monument 14

Heya!

I finished reading Monument 14 written by Emmy Laybourne a few minutes ago.

"Your mother hollers that you're going to miss the bus. She can see it coming down the street. You don't stop and hug her and tell her you love her. You don't thank her for being a good, kind, patient mother. Of course not - you launch yourself down the stairs and make a run for the corner.

Only, if it's the last time you'll ever see your mother, you sort of start to wish you'd stopped and did those things. Maybe even missed the bus.

But the bus was barreling down the street, so I ran.

Fourteen kids. One superstore. A million things that go wrong."


Now tell me, if you read this summary for the first time what would you think the book was about?

Let me see if I thought the same thing as you did. You thought the book is about these 14 kids trying to pass through the "million things that go wrong", am I right?
Well, you did think right as I did, but the first part of the book is full of great natural events. You have a super-stunami, an earthquake and to top it all a black chemical cloud covers all Colorado which is where the kids are.
So far, sounds good. While reading this part I started to think the book was going to be about the appocalipse and we'd see how their group would survive without an adult.
Until you read they are stuck inside the store and nothing happens for the majority part of the book and some love-triangles start to pop up. Then when you reach the end several happenings make you glued to the book and it ends.
So basically it's cool at the beginning and at the end, because in my opinion the middle is boring. I had to force myself to continue reading.

This time I watched the trailer before and here it is:



To sum this up, the book is easy to read, you see everything by a guy's point of view which is always good. Despite the middle of the book being lacking on catastrophic events it's still a good book with a great idea. How many books exist with the exact same subject? I liked reading it.

There's a sequel coming next Summer called Monument 14: Sky On Fire. I'm not sure if I will be anxious and sleepless until I read it, that will depend on which books and series I'm following at the time but I'm going to ad it to my list on the right.

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment