Saturday 16 June 2012

Dearly, Departed - Lia Habel

Heya!

Lately this blog seems like a book-review kind of website. Books everywhere... I don't think it's a bad thing but can be boring.
But now that school's over and I have so much free time I can't stop reading.
This time I read Dearly, Departed by Lia Habel.

"A cyber-Victorian/steampunk romance - with zombies.

Almost two hundred years in the future, Nora Dearly lives in a world of bustled gowns, fake manner, watery tea, and uppity lords and ladies.

Thank God the zombies came to rescue her.

Drangges into the night by the living dead, Nora finds herself fighting for the father she thought long gone, the friend she was forced to leave behind - and the love of a handsome, noble young army captain.

Who just happens to be a walking corpse."


This is the second book I've read whereas zombies are the main theme (the first was Warm Bodies written by Issac Marion). That's one of the reasons why I decided to read this book, the other was because the summary says steampunk and being interested in the manner I thought "hell, yeah. you're going to read that book."
But or I don't have the minimal idea of what steampunk is or the book is lacking on it.

I though it was going to have many steampunk-based instruments and machinery. But I don't remember reading anything like it.
And another thing that made me confuse is the fact this is in the future but the characters live in the Victorian era... It's weird to think that in the future we won't evolve our life mores.
Despite those two facts it was a good book to read.
It's great to read in several points of view even if they are in different scenes. Oh, and another great thing about this book is the main female character isn't too dumb. She decides to work everything through her heard later and faced anything she has to do at the moment. That can be bad but in this book is the right thing to do. I can't imagine how terrible it would've been if Nora was substituted by another girl with some too-much-girly-therefore-artificial attitudes.

I did not know there was a trailer, but here it is.

There's a sequel being released on September 25 called Dearly, Beloved, which was already added to my list on the right side of the page. I actually am excited to read the continuation.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment