Friday 6 January 2012

Claddagh Ring

Hi!

In Spellbound, the book written by Cara Lyinn Shultz, there's a part where Brendan gives a Claddagh ring to Emma I was totally "what on earth is a Claddagh ring?!". As uncultured as I am, I've never heard about anything like it. I finished the book and forgot at all about the ring with a strange name but today I was just checking what I've been reading for the last months when I ended up re-reading Spellbound and now, yes, I googled it.
I found a website called claddaghring.com which sells these famous rings. I searched around and they are as I imagined while reading the book. Although the "classic" model is not my favourite. I don't like the hands involving the heart however I found one I thought was really cute.


Some say the crown symbolizes loyalty, the hands symbolize friendship and the heart love, obviously.
There are several meanings around Claddagh rings, the Irish culture says the woman is in a love relationship whether married or not or simply the ring was given by a friend. Depending of how and which finger the woman wears it.
 - When is on the ring finger of the right hand pointing to the same finger, the woman is free of any love relationship;
 - When is worn on the same hand and finger but pointing to the person, love is involved;
 - When the ring is on the ring finger of the left hand, the woman is married or engaged.

Now that I know more information about the accessory, a very important accessory, I think I would like to receive (or give because are models for men) one. I think is a meaningful way of showing how strong is the feeling one person has for the other. It's romantic.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment