Monday 16 April 2012

The Scorch Trials - James Dashner

Hey!

Yesterday I didn't had any free time to come here but at least I finished the second book - The Scorch Trials - on the The Maze Runner series by James Dashner. Therefore, here's my review.


"Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end. No more puzzles. No more variables. And no more running. Thomas was sure that escape meant he and the Gladers would get their lives back. But no one really knew what sort of life they were going back to.
In the Maze, life was easy. They had food, and shelter, and safety... until Teresa triggered the end. In the world outside the Maze, however, the end was triggered long ago.
Burned by sun flares and baked by a new, brutal climate the earth is a wasteland. Government has disintegrated - and with it, order - and now Cranks, people covered in festering wounds and driven to murderous insanity by the infectious disease known as the Flare, roam the crumbling cities hunting for their next victim... and meal.
The Gladers are far from finished with running. Instead of freedom, they find themselves faced with another trial. They must cross the Scorch, the most burned-out section of the world, and arrive at a safe haven in two weeks. And WICKED has made sure to adjust variable and stack the odds against them. Thomas can only wonder - does he hold  the secret of somewhere in his mind? Or will he forever be at the mercy of WICKED?"

When I wrote about the first book, I said it was supper frustrating and suffered while reading, wasn't it? Well, forget all about that because the sequel is worse. So much worse! 

Like I said before when I get really attached to one book I become the characters and almost feel the same emotions. Of course when Thomas is shot I did not felt the bullet penetrating my shoulder but I stayed super quiet, holding my breath and my heart started bumping faster for sure, as silly as it seems.
It's supper intense! I think this happens because you can relate to these teenagers, you agree and comprehend that they're just kids and want to be free and not having to survive through such things and walk around killing people/strange creatures. In my opinion, I think the author works with our values and makes us "want to help" them somehow which is clever and at the same time you begin seriously thinking about the whole storyline you realize it's "teaching" you something, too - to never give up. Just keep trying and everything will be fine, eventually.
The book is very well written and despite being frustrating and intense as I said, is one of those books you wish you could erase from your memory so you can read it again and pass through all the suspense and that "omg-what-now?" feeling. It's just a shame we can't do that but I can confirm that I will definitely read this book again. Maybe not tomorrow nor the next year but I promise you that I will someday in my life re-read it.

This time I did not read any reviews not because I didn't wanted to just because it didn't happen but when I was searching for the trailer on Youtube, I confess the comments made me laugh. It's cool to see other people saying the same things you think about the book. Oh, and the speech! It's the funniest thing ever. People commented talking just like the Gladers, how funny is that?!


I already started the third and final book on the series - The Death Cure. So far it hasn't change on the intensity but I'm near to the middle so I can't say much.
As before, you'll see a review on the last book on the next days.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment