Monday 29 July 2013

Lindsay Ribar - The Art Of Wishing

Hey!

I've been gone for God knows how long, but life has been tough.. I'm not gonna lie. But now that Summer's here I'm hoping I can go back to the way things used to be. I'm not saying I'm going to start writing a post per day but I'm sure as hell will try to at least publish 2-3 post per week, I think that's enough improvement for starting.

So, as a welcome-back post I decided to do a book review. I sure missed those. Get ready because even though I have a few dozens of books to review here from last year I'm doing The Art Of Wishing by Lindsay Ribar which I read last month.

He can grant her wishes, but only she can save his life.

Margo McKenna has a plan for just about anything, from landing the lead in her high school play to getting into a good college. So when she finds herself in possission of a genie's ring and the chance to make three wishes, she doens't know what to do. Why should she put her life into someone else's hands?

But Oliver is more than just a genie - he's also a sophomore at Margo's high school, and he's on the run from a murderer. As he and Margo grow closer, she discovers that it will take more than three wishes to save him.

A whole lot more.


I realized I had never read anything about genies so that's when I put some serious effort on my search for this subject I discovered this book and then I noticed how cool the cover was and well there was nothing that could be done about it. This would be the first book I was going to read about genies.

Let me just say that when on the summary says the genie - Oliver - is a student I wasn't that much happy about it but then while reading the reader finds out it isn't exactly like that I was content again.

Now, Margo is planning to be an singer/actress and everyone says she's amazing at it because she enters into character and bam she lives it to the fullest and as the summary says, our main female character wants the lead in the school play: Sweeney Todd.
If you are curious I think it's irrelevant enough for me to say she doesn't get it. She auditions and is amazing but the new-girl - Victoria - gets it instead while Margo is set to play Tobias, a boy, which even though she tries to play it cool she isn't doing it willingly at the beginning but then she starts to enjoy it enough. During the first rehearsal Margo seems to be the only one actually seeing how bad Victoria is and with that appears Ms. Curious and Ms. Obssession about the new-girl and how she got the part Margo wanted and when our lady-Tobias follows Victoria to the bathroom which leads her to find a ring that was given to Victoria from Oliver. And that is the first half of the book, basically.

The second part of the book is what I like to think as "when Oliver enters her life". So she finds the ring (not a magic lamp) touches it and ta-daa Oliver appears.
At first he tries to deny everything but when Victoria clearly wants nothing to do with the ring or Oliver himself, Margo becomes Oliver's master which grants her the classic 3 wishes. And here, my friends, is when the story really begins.
I'm not telling you what her 3 wishes are because that would ruin the book, but I can tell you she wants one not be for herself so she asks something important for the world. I'll leave it at that. But she asks her wishes really slowly because the first is something she really wanted and then enjoys it so much she starts to "forget" the other 2 so there are some days between them which results with some time spent with Oliver and as a YA book they start to realize that maybe they like each other more than just as friends.
But Oliver starts to see his time running short because Margo won't choose her wishes quickly and that ends into something bad; an ex-master - Xavier - returns to collect his third wish but this wish isn't something good, the opposite in fact.
This takes us to the final scene: the confrontation between Oliver and Xavier. They must decide which one dies and lives but Margo won't let Oliver die not matter what and with that wish she makes another surprising one in order to save her boyfriend (Oliver) and with that the book ends in a thing we call cliffhanger.

The end was a surprise for me because Margo was an interesting character, some times I liked her and other times she was so annoying but at the end she overcame all the problems and insecurities she had in her mind. Was cool to see her growth.

There are so many details I left unwritten that you can easily read the book and still be surprised where you're suppose to. So if you want a "light-read" for summer this is a good option. You won't need to think much and it's fun to think about what your 3 wishes would be. I have no idea about mine but I'm sure I would take the cliche one: be a millionaire.

This is the first book in the series and the sequel - The Fourth Wish - is expected to be available to purchase in 2014. I'm going to read it because I really want to know what happens next.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment